We value our community.
Desert Montessori has emphasized sustainability and global education as it directly relates to our mission. We strive to teach global responsibility throughout each child’s day, complementing Maria Montessori’s cosmic curriculum.
Our pledge to students, parents, and teachers: Our school and grounds are free from toxic materials. We do not use pesticides, or hazardous cleaning supplies. By adopting this mission we aim to:
- Improve indoor air quality
- Remove toxic materials from places where children learn and play
- Employ sustainable purchasing and green cleaning practices
- Improve environmental literacy in students
- Decrease the burden on municipal water and wastewater treatment
- Compared to traditional products, green cleaning products minimize health risks, reduce pollution, and conserve resources.
- Children are more susceptible to the effects of cleaning chemicals and other toxins because they are still developing and they behave differently than adults—rolling around on the floor of a classroom, for example.
Desert Montessori is proud to have one of the first environmentally and socially responsible retirement plans in the country. Our plan was built by Longview Asset Management, a local Certified B-Corporation, here in Santa Fe, NM. We believe it is important to protect the future we are investing for, and are working with LongView to make money a force for good. Our teachers’ 403(b) plans are ingrained with a dedication to harnessing the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. Unlike traditional corporations, Certified B Corps are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions not only on their shareholders, but also on their stakeholders, which includes employees, suppliers, clients, community, and the environment.
“If help and salvation are to come, they can only come from the children, for the children are the makers of men.”